University accommodation
In France, the CROUS is responsible for the management of public university accommodation. To make a request, connect to the portal here.
Keep in mind that accommodation is limited, so it is necessary to make your request as early as possible.

Private accommodation
It is also possible for you to have direct contact with landlords who rent rooms or studios ,,, etc.

All accommodation, including rooms in University residences, or shared apartments, must be insured.

Rental deposit
All renters (private or public) request a rental deposit.
The VISALE is a State insurance allowing students without guarantor to have easier access to housing. It can be requested at

The VISALE can be used by all students that:

  • Have steady income but no family, friend or bank guarantor;
  • Are looking for housing in France for their studies;
  • Are 30 years old or less on September 1st of the year when the lease is signed;

Housing benefit
With the CAF – Caisse d’Allocations Familiales, you may be eligible for housing benefit if:

  • You are officially renting, co-habiting or sub-letting,
  • You are living in an apartment, a university residence, a hostel, a furnished flat, a hotel, a room in a private home

For more information on housing benefit, please check